Wednesday, 27 July 2011

My new Hibiscus


It's not news to most of you that I have a ' thang ' for hibiscus plants, I have 5 different varieties on our courtyard allone.
It should also not come as a surprise,  that me and my Man like to seek out plant nurseries on the weekends, and this past weekend was no exception.
Armed with an exert from the Saturday paper, we headed out to Southlake to visit Landscape Systems Garden Center.



They had gorgeous, healthy plants and a huge selection of pots and fountains made from German salt glazed pottery.

I would love to have this in my back yard

the colors in salt glazed pottery glows in the sun light.

We couldn't resist buying a Luau Pipedream Tangerine Hibiscus and a beautiful lattice embossed pale terracotta pot for it to call home.


I love the pale peachy color of this pot, it makes a nice contrast of the traditional terracotta pots that I already have.



I think it nicely complements the orange tones in the hibiscus blooms.






It has a gorgeous pink 'eye' with dark green foliage, and it's a hearty variety... which means it will come back each year, and can even be planted in the ground is some zones. I prefer to to grow all my hibiscus in pots and winter them in a heated environment in the cold seasons.


I think it makes a wonderful addition to our courtyard oasis, and despite the brutal Texas summer we are having, it is still a welcoming retreat for breakfast and morning tea.


This is a red Luna hibiscus, the blooms are just over 6 inches across.


This one is a Copper King,  named for the copper tinted leaves. I love the blooms on this one, they remind me of a peppermint candy, and this is as far as the blooms opens... at least as far as mine do, very unique.


This is an  Angle Trumpet plant that we have growing next to the Swiss Chard and a pot of very young Mandevilla vine. The Angle Trumpet is not in the hibiscus family, but I wanted to show it to you anyway because it too has huge blooms, that start to open after dark and on this particular evening, a Humming Bird Moth, aka Sphinx Moth decided to pay a visit.


I hope you are all staying cool while finding ways to still enjoy the beauty of summer.

I will be linking up to these fun parties...

Delightful Order for Delightfully Inspiring Thursday

A Creative Princess for It's a Party

No Minimalist Here for Open House Party

























No comments:

Post a Comment