Wednesday, 6 July 2011

North Middletown Kentucky Iced Tea


I've never been to North Middletown Kentucky, but they have one heck of an Iced Tea!

 

The recipe was given to me several years ago by Jane, my next door neighbor who is from Kentucky, and I have to say it's THE best summer time iced tea that I have ever had and I drink it by the gallons.

Being a Texan I have certainly drank my fair share of iced tea and almost always drink it "black"
(unsweetened and no flavoring) but in the summer, when the mint is knee high and taking over our back yard I can't resist the refreshing aroma of it and put it in and on everything I can, and that is how I became converted to sweetened and flavored iced tea in the summer time. 


North Middletown Iced Tea

8 cups water
10 regular sized tea bags or 4 tablespoons of loose black tea 
10 mint leaves or to taste
rinds of 4 lemons, juice removed and reserved to make 1 cup of lemon juice
2 1/4 cups of sugar (being an unsweetened drinker, I cut this amount in half)
8 cups of ice

In a large pot bring the 8 cups of water to a boil.
Add the tea bags or loose tea tied up in cheese cloth, mint leaves and lemon rinds and let steep for 5 minutes.
Remove tea bags and add 1 cup of lemon juice and sugar, stir until the sugar is dissolved.
Pour through a strainer into a gallon pitcher and add the 8 cups of ice, stir until the ice has melted.
Keep refrigerated.
Makes 1 gallon

I hope you give this recipe a try, you will be surprised by how the fresh mint and lemon makes it refreshing summer time classic.


I will be joining these fun parties...

Savvy Southern Style for Wow us Wednesday

Stone Gable for On the Menu Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment