Thursday, 11 August 2011

Baked Breaded Tomatoes


My neighbor Ann asked me if I wanted a couple of tomatoes that she had to get rid of before she went out of town because they wouldn't last until her return, I of course said YES!

I used about a quarter of one on last nights salad and it was delicious. Being at it's peak, the color and flavor was so intense, I decided right then and there that I would be using the rest of it along with the other one in a baked tomato casserole.

The only problem was that one and three-fourths of a tomato wasn't going to be near enough, so I knew that I would have to add the lovely Roma tomatoes that I bought last weekend at the farmers market into the plan.



BAKED BREADED TOMATOES



Recipe:

3 cups whole wheat sandwich bread torn into small pieces, about 3 slices.
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon olive oil divided.
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley 
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano.
8 Roma tomatoes or other small/medium tomatoes of your choice, quartered lengthwise.
1 leek chopped, white part only.
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon sugar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Coat a glass or ceramic 8 inch baking dish or two 16 oz casserole dishes with cooking spray.
In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, oregano, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, tossing to coat the crumbs evenly.
In a large skillet or saute pan, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add quartered tomatoes, chopped leek, salt, pepper, and sugar. Saute until the tomatoes soften and release their juice, about 8-10 minutes.
Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs in the bottom of the prepared baking dish, spoon in the tomato mixture, then top the tomatoes evenly with the remaining breadcrumbs.
Bake until the crumb topping is crisp and browned, about 20 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 4 side dishes or 2 entrees served with a side salad or sandwich.


I baked the casserole in individual baking dishes and served it with grilled Gouda cheese sandwichs for a delicious lunch for two.

Enjoy!

I will be joining...

Home Savvy A-Z for Savvy Home Made

Stone Gable for On The Menu Monday




  


No comments:

Post a Comment